Today, we’re continuing our fishing series for Stardew Valley and we’ll learn about catching the Glacierfish in the game. This is one of the most difficult legendaries to catch, so a guide on how to do it easily should come in handy.
After reading this article, make sure to also check out the previously published ones about fish in Stardew Valley, like my Void Salmon guide or the Crimsonfish guide.
Now, let’s get back to the Glacierfish legendary and learn everything about it!
Catching the Glacierfish – Everything You Need to Know
The glacierfish can only be caught during the wintertime – hence its name. You need to be at least level six to be allowed to catch it. It’s not going to be easy, though!
In order to catch it, make sure to go to the Southeastern tip of Arrowhead Island in the Cindersnap Forest during the Winter (day or night). Make sure you hit the deep waters with your line to increase chances of capturing it.
Considering Glacierfish is one of the five legendary fish in the game, you can only catch it once per save the file, or once per player in Multiplayer.
One of the few things that you can do before catching this legendary fish would be to increase your fishing proficiency. This gives you better chances to capture it after it bites.
Stardew Valley Glacierfish: Tips to Catch It Faster
While luck and personal experience with fishing in the game matters a lot (especially when it comes to drop rates of this legendary fish), there are some things that will always help.
So try to go fishing for the Glacierfish having these tips in mind:
1. Before fishing consume fishing buffs like the Trout Soup, Fish taco, Dish of the Sea (which gives 3 levels to fishing for a short time), or Lobster Bisque. All these will increase your fishing proficiency, making it easier to catch any fish.
2. If you have a maximum level in fishing proficiency, which I recommend having, you can get to 11 if you eat the foods recommended above.
3. Watch the TV and go fishing when the lady says that it’s a lucky day. This will increase your chances of catching the fish (by increasing the drop rates)
4. Learn its movements after it bites. The Glacierfish loves to quickly bring the meter up, then all the way down before settling somewhere in the middle.
This means that the best strategy would be to try to stick to the middle section instead of always trying to follow it up and down. With a bit of practice, you can master this.
5. Finally, make sure to go fishing using bait (learn how to attach it to your rod here) or get a trap bobber from Willy’s shop.
Stardew Valley Glacierfish spot / fishing location
You can only find the Glacierfish if you fish from the Southeastern tip of Arrowhead Island in the Cindersnap Forest during the Winter. It doesn’t matter if you go fishing during the night or day, as long as it’s Winter season.
Here is the exact spot from where you should start fishing to catch it:
What to do with the Glacierfish in Stardew Valley?
Just like with any fish in the game, you can sell the Glacierfish for a nice amount of money or you can consume it like the legendary person you are. Or you can simply keep it in a chest since it’s literally a one of a kind.
If you decide to sell the Glacierfish, you can get for it anything between 1,000g to 2,250g depending on the quality of the fish and the profession you have (if any).
You can also consume the Glacierfish and get at least 25 energy and 11 health… but really, I recommend keeping it. It’s good to have all your Legendary fish at home instead of gone forever if you sell or eat.
The Stardew Valley Glacierfish is relatively easy to catch if you buff yourself a little bit before you go fishing. As long as you start fishing from the right location, during the right season, you’re all set.
If you ever get bored with the regular content in the game, you can always try to bring in some mods. You can check out the best Stardew Valley mods here.
I hope you found this guide useful. If you still have questions about this fish – or anything related to Stardew Valley, let me know!